We use the Blomdahl Ear Piercing system, a medical grade system available only through medical professionals. Blomdahl earrings are not regular earrings. The earrings are specially designed for optimal healing. The piercings are housed in single use sterile cassettes, reducing the risk of infection and transmission of disease between patients. And all materials are made of medical grade plastics and titanium. This allows those with nickel and other contact allergies to comfortably wear earrings.
Where do we pierce?
We currently only pierce ears. We may offer nose and/or belly button
piercings to adults in the future.
How much does it cost?
We charge $100 to pierce 2 ears with medical grade plastic or titanium
earrings. Full payment is due when you check in for your ear piercing
appointment. BWFM Members receive a 50% discount.
EMLA cream can be used to numb the skin if desired – apply at home or in
the clinic up to 45” before your piercing.
Are there age restrictions?
Dr. Dall-Winther will pierce the ears of infants ages 2 months to 9 months, of children 5 years of age and older, and of adults.
● This ensures that infants have received their first DTaP immunization
and allows the ear to grow big enough for more accurate placement of
the earring. Infants are held in their parent’s arms during the
procedure and the worst part for them is when their head must be
held still, and most babies cry only briefly.
● After 9 months of age, children are more active making the actual
piercing experience more difficult and less safe. After this age, they are
also more prone to picking at the earrings making them more
susceptible to infection.
● For children over 5 years of age
○ It is important that the child has requested to have their ears
pierced and the Parent/Guardian has agreed.
○ The child needs to be able to sit still during the procedure and
has to allow or participate in responsible after-care to ensure a
○ The child will sit beside the parent and will lean against the
parent’s shoulder. Teens will simply sit quietly on their own.
○ We will not hold a child down for this procedure as it is an
elective cosmetic procedure. The staff reserves the right to
cancel a procedure if they feel for any reason that the situation
may become unsafe due to the child’s inability to cooperate.
Do I need an appointment?
How do I take care of the pierced ears afterwards?
Never touch your ears with unclean hands.
● Wash your newly pierced ears (on both sides) thoroughly twice a day.
○ Do not remove the earrings when cleansing.
○ When showering/washing your hair, use liquid soap and rinse
thoroughly with clean running water.
○ Dry with a Kleenex or Q-tip.
● Supplementary cleansing is done with Blomdahl Piercing Aftercare
cleansing swabs, which are gentle on the skin. The swabs make it
possible to clean between your ears and the earrings/earring backs.
Allow to air dry. Use a new cleansing swab for each ear, each time. Do
not clean with alcohol.
● Make sure that the area around the holes are kept clean, dry and airy
at all times.
● Cover your ears when applying make up, hair spray, spray perfume,
● Take extra care when you are putting on/pulling off clothing over your
head, in order to prevent the earrings from getting caught.
● Unlike conventional ear piercings, there is no need to rotate the
Blomdahl medical-grade plastic or titanium studs to prevent them
from adhering to the skin.
Is swimming ok immediately after ear piercing?
We recommend avoiding swimming as long as possible after piercing.
Chlorine from pools and bacteria in unchlorinated waters may irritate or
contaminate the wound and delay healing.
How long do I keep the studs in place?
After 6 weeks, we recommend changing earrings.
● The Blomdahl ear piercings studs we use are a little thicker (1.3 mm)
than the standard earring post (1.0 mm).
○ This creates a larger piercing hole which:
■ makes it easier to switch to normal earrings after the
■ reduces the risk of repeatedly re-injuring the ear piercing
site when replacing earrings, which should therefore
reduce the risk of piercing site infection.
○ Earrings are also designed with longer posts, to encourage air
circulation, also promoting healing.
○ Our earring backs completely encapsulate the tip of the post,
which leaves enough room for air to pass behind the earlobe and
also ensures that they won’t fall off.
● Blomdahl offers a variety of medical jewelry for purchase online.
What about allergic reactions to my earrings?
Nickel is commonly used as a metal hardener and most metals used for ear piercing contain nickel. Nickel is one of the most common causes of allergic contact dermatitis. Allergic contact dermatitis is an itchy rash that occurs when your skin comes in contact with a typically harmless substance. Fresh piercings allow direct and constant contact between a minor open wound and the metal, which contains nickel. Choosing medical grade plastic or titanium allows you to avoid nickel exposure as the piercings heal and decrease the risk of allergy or reaction.
What are the risks of ear piercing?
● There is a risk of infection anytime the skin is broken. We reduce this
risk significantly by:
○ using standard sterile technique
○ using sterile, single use piercing cassettes
○ providing specific aftercare instructions
● The pain is brief and similar to a vaccine. Ask us about using numbing
● Keloids are large, raised scars. Risk factors for keloids include:
○ Family history of keloids
○ Darker skin pigmentation
○ Age > 11 years